Saturday, December 1, 2012

Progress!

So, finally received the proofreads and am now doing final rechecking/editing before publishing and was surprised when my proofreader said, "feel free to ignore my edits when it comes to your characters thoughts, she has a way with words". 

At first I wondered about it, I mean, if I could just ignore you than what good is proofreading for but then after I reread my work (I have moved on to two other books so the 'sound' of this book was kind of a vague rememberence for me) and understood what she meant. 

Because the book is in 1st person POV, the whole thing runs on my character's words; on her dialogs and how she chooses her words and how she says them. So, what she's saying is that I have a right to use wonky grammar and weird structures because hey, people don't talk like dictionaries. 

ARTISTIC LICENSE PEOPLE, I HAVE ARTISTIC LICENSE!! 

I can finally use that as an excuse and will be justified. It got me thinking though, how much bad grammar could I justify with this excuse? 

Ha. 

Not too much I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment