Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Talk: The Lynburn's Legacy's Jared Lynburn



“She’s funny and she’s—she’s kind.” 
-Jared about Kami in The Spring Before I Met You 

At first I didn’t really get what made a catch appear in my throat just with that short sentence from Jared. Then I realized it was the word “kind”, how he used the word ‘kind’ to describe her. The way he hesitates to find the words.

It’s something that I’ve been noticing lately, that when we describe people that we know, we use the words ‘funny, smart, witty, okay, adorable’ when we actually like the person, but think about it, we rarely use the word ‘kind’.

Why?

Because kindness is something that you take for granted, something that, for fortunate people-I suppose I am one of those people-are treated with kindness by family members and friends. It is something that you expect, so when I’m being treated in a respectful and kind manner, I don’t really take note of it anymore, unless I am expecting something the opposite or when I am meeting someone for the first time.

People who do, are usually the ones who are in short supply of kind people in their lives.

So, Jared describing Kami as kind is heartbreaking for me. For a teenager no less, to appreciate kindness in such a way…it makes my heart go ‘waaaa’ and I just want to hug him.

No comments:

Post a Comment