Friday, May 16, 2014

Music Video Talk: Lee Michelle's Without You #MVTALK


So, this video. It got me.

I am kind of confused on why most reaction videos to this MV doesn't really get the video which is weird because I think the video was pretty clear on what it was about.

This is a girl who despite her Korean blood looks like a black woman. In South KOREA. She has dark skin and big hair. So when the little girl showed up and we saw her looking at the picture of a black man, I already know what it'll be about.

Those pictures on the wall, the way she tries to powder her face white was kind of harrowing for me. And to think that it's a child doing this makes me even more sad. And angry. 

It really doesn't matter if you black, yellow, or white, you've been there. When you've experience little jabs about your looks, when you're being told that you're not good enough, or made to feel that you'll never be good enough. And this MV showed us a part of that. She's a black kid in South Korea where pale skin and small faces is the yardstick of beauty.

But then there was a black and white painting of her face on the wall, and she splashed it with color. She's started of angry but then she started to smile...that was a powerful message.

at the start I realized that she's actually running away from prejudice and fear. 

She was REALLY brave in making this video though.

Of course the song choice didn't make any sense but I guess we can take it as the song is about a person who didn't accept her as she is, or made her feel small. But fuck it, she's fine without that person anyhow. 

I love at the end though, when the little her meet the teenage her and they smiled at each other. 

After all, the best revenge is success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment