Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My My My

It's been a while since I've posted anything in any of my blogs. Sorry blogs, I've been busy. 

I'm still writing, though progress is slow but I'm getting to the 50K NaNoWriMo word count. Either than, I have been spending time with my friends and my cousin and her family.

This is probably the handful of times that I had a chance to be alone. But hey, Editor said contract will be sent today, God willing. 

Today, will be meeting my friends Zie and Dhee for a little girl bonding. And I also want to buy Gail Carriger's Soulless, since I can't seem to find Sarah Rees Brennan's Unspoken. Grrr.

Am sending final draft of Touched-edited manuscript to publisher, am freaked that I missed a word/a typo. My brain often skips through them and just fill in the blanks by itself so I never notice them until someone points it out. And since publishing something in English is a new thing for my publisher, they don't have someone who can proofread in English, and I seriously need one...and a Grammar Nazi to point out my stupidity.

Other than that, I'm good. Still feeling a little nauseated about family drama and I really want to avoid going home for as long as I could but--

...oh well. *shrugs*

Oh and hey, new story idea which is aweeeeeesome!!! I really like the female character in this new idea of mine, and the rapid-fire sass between her and the main male character. Funnily, I got this idea when I was channel surfing and my attention was caught by the 2011 version of Conan the Barbarian.

It'll be another fantasy of course, and I already kind of know the main plot, and I know there'll be sword fights and magic, and strange destinies, humor and most of all angst. I can practically taste the angst.

The female character would be different from most of my female characters who are mainly easy going, she's going to be rigid and kind of a tight ass about her rules since she was raised in a sort of magic nunnery. She upholds goodness and kindness and compassion on a pedestal but is jaded enough to be practical when the occasion calls for it.

Since she was little she was forcefed by the high priest and priestesses that she has some sort of special destiny that she has to fulfill no matter what the price. She's not all that sheltered, but she's sheltered enough to feel aghast when she runs into a group of desert pirates, one of them being the male character.

The male character is uber-practical, as one would be when one is born into a tribe of desert travellers. He's practically royalty since his tribe is a big and prosperous one, highly sucessful in finding and trading things with countries that general people have never even heard of. But one day, his whole tribe was massacered because they were accused of hiding a traitor of the nation etc. A small number of them, him and his brother and his friends survived and they became what they are now: desert pirates, living day by day in hiding and always up for a brawl and misbehaving, especially when there is the Sultan's gold involved.

It's a clash of black and white and shades of grey really. The story promises to be a fun one. And I'm excited about writing it....

I just realize how "promises to be a fun one" is not something that I should be saying, in fact I should be saying "it's going to be a lot of fun" you know, like I'm certain that it will.

But you know what? This is how I write, I discover the story rather than making it up. My stories are usually already there inside my head, I just have to pick one and march on, following each thread of the story as I write.


1 comment:

  1. I love your new idea! sounds really interesting! I can see why you want to write it.

    My writing process is almost the same as yours, the new stories are always there, bugging us to write them. We think we know how is going to be, but the book take his own path.

    I am at 30K in nanowrimo. I am having a big boost adding new chapters to the story with the male mc pov. I haven't do it in the planning because he is the secret thing in the plot, but... his voice became stronger and stronger and... here he is. And the puzzle seems better now.

    ReplyDelete